Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Miley in Vanity Fair

Jamie inspired this post with her post on Miley Cyrus...my response got a little long for a comment, and since I haven't posted in a while...

I actually don't think this picture is all that bad. Too provocative for a 15 year old, yes, and my kid wouldn't be doing it. My 7 year old and her whole class are all about Hannah Montana, and THEY were talking about it today. Of course being 7 year olds, and only hearing bits of the story, they thought she was showing her whole front, or fully naked, and I had to explain it was just her back, and that it was a bad choice by Miley and her parents.

Her parents just don't think. We went to see the 3-d movie, and I was pissed that they showed Billy Ray and Miley in the back with no seat belts. He apologized about his poor judgment after the fact, but what happened during "Idol Gives Back?" The same damn thing!!! And no one even batted an eye.

Her music that I've heard is fine, some of it (like Nobody's Perfect and Life's What You Make It) have messages I've been trying to get across to my daughter for a long time. On the tv show and in the movie, the kids aren't wearing low cut shirts or really short skirts (most of the time they had shorts on under them when they were above the knee), the worst I can say is sometimes the clothes are a little tight.

So, we'll continue to watch the shows and listen to the music, I pre-screen it all anyway. But we'll also talk about the bad choices she makes and why those choices are bad.

Hopefully Billy Ray will get his head out of his ass and rein her in, but I kind of doubt it. Which is really sad, but one of life's lessons, I suppose. We really don't need another Britney!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm sorry I made you post about her! LOL!

I haven't seen the show nor anything Hannah Montana but I'm sure if my daughter were older I probably would have.

I agree her Dad needs to be a Dad, not a bud right now.

Anonymous said...

My youngest is 14, and just a few months ago decided she was "too old" for Hannah Montana anymore...

Nothing really to add on point, but I wanted to thank you for your recent comment on my blog. It was one of the nicest things I've read in a long time, and made me feel really good after a long, hard night...

Best of luck to you in school! Keep your nose to the grindstone, and I'll be checking back in on you...

John