Friday, December 7, 2007

In Case You Were Wondering...

Flaky answering machine chick never called back. I sent her a "thanks-but-no-thanks" letter. Too bad for her, she had a pretty decent resume. However, if you're so flaky you can't even return a call for an interview, that does not bode well for your ability to do the job.

We are on second interviews, and I've been writing questions. I'm giving in to the craze and asking an "off the wall" question: If you could be any kind of plant or animal, what would you be and why?


The point is to see how the person thinks on their feet and handles the unexpected. I'm not expecting poetry, I'm expecting something with a fairly logical explanation. Plus, it tells about their personality a bit too. We'll see how it goes on Monday.

Here are my other questions:


  1. Describe a typical day at your current job.
  2. Name the 3 most helpful tools in your current job.
  3. Situational Question: One afternoon, when the entire water staff is out either at training or sick, including the boss, you get a call from his boss saying that there’s a water break at the main office, and to get someone over immediately to fix it. You can’t reach your boss, but leave him a message. The only water worker you can reach says he’s 30 minutes away. What do you do?
  4. If you could be any kind of plant or animal, what would you be and why?
  5. Why are you the best candidate for this job?
I'm hoping this helps, I have one candidate I'm not sure if she's shy or not competent. Hopefully some more open ended questions will help me decide!

1 comment:

Lawfrog said...

In answer to #3, I'd call the water worker back and have him talk me through the solution.

Those are great questions. It's tough to interview people. Good luck!